Take a moment to find out how to navigate your BlackBerry device using touch screen gestures. You can also learn gestures to help you do things more quickly.
Move around the home screen
To get back to the home screen at any time, swipe up from the bottom of the
To see your messages in the BlackBerry Hub, slide your finger from left to right.
To see the apps that are open (if any), slide your finger from right to left. To see all
your apps, continue sliding your finger from right to left.
Peek at the BlackBerry Hub
To see your messages, you can peek at the BlackBerry Hub, or open it, from anywhere on your BlackBerry device.
Tip: Keep your finger on the screen while you peek at the BlackBerry Hub. To go back to what you were doing, slide your finger back down.
Show the menus
- To see more actions that you can perform in an app, tap or .
- To see more actions for a specific item, such as a song or picture,
touch and hold the item.
Tip: To see the names of the icons that appear on the right side of the screen, touch and hold the icon. Slide your finger off the icon to avoid selecting it.
- To find the settings and help for an app, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- To find the settings for the device, on the home screen, swipe down
from the top of screen.
Note: In an app, to find the device settings, use two fingers and swipe down from the top of the screen.
Scroll and move between items
- To scroll, slide your finger up and down.
- To move between the BlackBerry Hub and your apps, slide your finger left and right.
Use a slider
- To select an item, simply tap it. If the item can be opened, it opens.
- To highlight an item without opening it, touch and hold the item.
- To highlight multiple items, such as pictures or songs that you want to share, touch and hold one item. Tap and tap more items. To clear an item, tap it again.
Zoom in to or zoom out from the screen
- To zoom in, slide your fingers apart.
- To zoom out, slide your fingers together.
- Lift to wake
- Flip to mute
- Flip to save power
- Hold to stay awake
Lift to wake
If this feature is turned on, when you pick up your BlackBerry device from a flat surface, your device wakes up automatically. You don’t have to press the Power/Lock key or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to start using your device.
To turn on or turn off this feature, tap Settings > Advanced Interaction. Tap the Lift to Wake switch.
Flip to mute
If this feature is turned on, when you receive a call and it isn’t a convenient time to respond, you can turn your device facedown to silence the ring tone or vibration. You still receive a notification of the missed call.
To turn on or turn off this feature, tap Settings > Advanced Interaction. Tap the Flip to Mute switch.
Flip to save power
If this feature is turned on, when you place your device facedown on a flat surface, your device goes into standby mode to extend battery life. You still receive notifications for incoming calls, messages, and alarms.
To turn on or turn off this feature, tap Settings > Advanced Interaction. Tap the Flip to Save Power switch.
Hold to stay awake
If this feature is turned on, the screen stays on longer while you hold your device in your hand. This setting overrides the value set in Settings > Display > Screen Timeout.
To turn on or turn off this feature, tap Settings > Advanced Interaction. Tap the Hold to Stay Awake switch.