Preparing to switch devices
Before you begin switching to your new BlackBerry 10 device, take a moment to make sure that you have completed the following actions:
- Complete all of the instructions in the Setup app that opens the first time that your BlackBerry 10 device starts after you insert the battery. You can find the Setup app on the home screen of your device.
- If you have information saved to your SIM card, such as contact information, save the data to the storage space on your previous device or your media card before you begin to switch devices.
- If you have any usernames or passwords saved on your previous device, such as your BlackBerry ID, consider temporarily writing this information down so that you have it when you're ready to add accounts to your new device.
If you switch from a BlackBerry device running the BlackBerry OS (version 5.0 to 7.1), you should update to the latest available version of BBM and associate BBM with your BlackBerry ID before you switch devices.
- To see which version of BBM is running on your previous device, look for BlackBerry Messenger in your list of installed applications.
- To download BBM 7.0 or later on your previous device, visit the BlackBerry World storefront or www.bbm.com.
See which version of device software is installed on your previous device
If you switch from a BlackBerry device, to see which version of software is installed on your previous device, on the home screen of your previous device, do one of the following:
- Click Options > About.
- Click Options > Device > About Device Versions.
About SIM cards
BlackBerry 10 devices use either micro SIM cards or nano SIM cards. You might need to contact your service provider to get the appropriate SIM card for your device.
Using your BlackBerry ID to switch devices
When you switch to a new BlackBerry device, during setup, you are prompted to enter your BlackBerry ID username and password. It's important to sign in using the same BlackBerry ID that you used on your previous device, because many of your apps and settings are associated with your BlackBerry ID.
For example, when you use your existing BlackBerry ID on your new device, you can reinstall apps that you downloaded on your previous device from the BlackBerry World storefront, if a version of that app exists for your new device.
Find your BlackBerry ID on your old device
If you created a BlackBerry ID on a previous BlackBerry device, it's important to sign in using your existing BlackBerry ID on your new device, because many of your apps and settings are associated with it.
- On the home screen of your previous device, click Options or Settings.
Depending on your device, do one of the following:
- Click Third Party Applications > BlackBerry ID.
- Click Device > BlackBerry ID.
- Click or tap BlackBerry ID.